Chicago Public Schools' ANNUAL REGIONAL ANALYSIS

GREATER CALUMET SNAPSHOT

22,259 STUDENTS IN REGION | 45 SCHOOLS | 32% HISPANIC | 65% AFRICAN AMERICAN | 2% WHITE | 0% ASIAN


QUALITY

 
 

Number of Schools (#)

Greater Calumet-Quality.png
SQRP-KEY.png

KEY FINDINGS

  • 48% of CPS elementary students who live in the region attend a Level 1+/1 school, and 56% of CPS high school students attend a Level 1+/1 high school.

  • 29% of African American students attend a Level 2 or Level 3 school, compared to 2% of Hispanic students.  

  • There are 45 schools, 21 of which are Level 1+/1, 10 of which are Level 2, and two of which are Level 3.

  • There are over 3,500 unfilled Level 1+/1 elementary seats and over 900 unfilled Level 1+/1 high school seats.

  • 98% of Level 1+/1 elementary seats are at attendance area schools with no admissions criteria. Of all Level 1+/1 high school seats, 63% are at citywide schools with admissions criteria, and the other 37% are at attendance area schools that have some programs with criteria.


Note: CPS measures school quality with its School Quality Rating Policy. Click here for more information.

 

QUANTITY

 
 

Student population
(# of Students)

GreaterCalumet.AllGrades.png
Population-Key.png
 

Key Findings

  • The CPS population in the region has dropped by 7.1% (1,700 students) since the 2014-2015 school year, which is slightly greater than the citywide decline of 6.0%.

  • Enrollment in schools in the region has dropped by 1,160 students, a decline of 5.6%.

  • There are currently 13,134 more seats than students enrolled.


Note: Enrollment data are from the annual 20th day count.

 

CHOICE

 
 

% AND # OF STUDENTS

choice key.png

KEY FINDINGS

  • 18% of CPS elementary students and 42% of CPS high school students choose to attend school outside of their region. 63% of CPS elementary students and 31% of CPS high school students attend their zoned school.

  • Of CPS elementary students who choose not to attend their zoned school, 30% travel under one mile. Of high school students who choose not to attend their zoned school, 68% travel over three miles and 36% travel over six miles.


NOTE: Zoned schools have attendance boundaries. Every street address in the city of Chicago is assigned one attendance area (or neighborhood) elementary school and one neighborhood high school. In most cases, students can attend their designated neighborhood school without having to submit an application. For more information about schools, visit http://go.cps.edu/.

For support in finding great schools in your area, visit the Kids First Chicago School Search Tool and Chicago School Guide.

 

PROGRAM VARIETY

 
 

KEY FINDINGS

  • All elementary and high school programs are represented, including an Academic Center option, an RGC/Classical option, and five CTE programs.

  • There are relatively few IB seats for both elementary and high schools (compared to the number of students in the region).

  • The region lacks a high school Fine & Performing Arts program.


NOTE: Only centralized programs are included in this report. IB is International Baccalaureate and STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. For more information about programs, visit http://go.cps.edu/.

 
CCA-HUNTER.png